This Mediterranean Tuna Salad is light, fresh, and very healthy. It is made without any mayo, just a quick lemon, vinegar, and olive oil dressing.
If you are looking to skip the mayo and add some healthy fats instead, then this is your salad! It's seriously very appetizing and takes no time to make.
Table Of Contents
Well, apart from the marinating time which takes about 1 hour. Even though you can totally skip this, I do advise that you should let marinade as it really enhances the flavors.
So what are the flavors inside this salad? All Greek, and Mediterranean flavors. Like olives (slices), capers, and oregano, together with extra virgin olive oil, and red wine vinegar. And all these are served over crunchy shredded lettuce and thinly sliced tomatoes.
The presentation of this salad is as you mostly find it served in a Greek Taverna (a type of traditional Greek restaurant).
You can also add some cucumbers or avocados to it as well as these two go best with it.
This Mediterranean tuna salad you can keep it in the fridge for 2-3 days. Keep in mind that the longer it sits the stronger the flavors will get. And that includes the onion as well. Which I personally love, but I get that some people don't.
This salad is so great because the tuna doesn't get mixed with the veggies. This means you get a really basic tuna salad that you can use in numerous other ways. Such as to add inside a sandwich or wrap. Or you can also use it to stuff a jacket potato. Or even mix with some penne, fusilli, or bow pasta and make cold pasta salad.
Another delicious Mediterranean Tuna Salad to try is this Healthy Potato Tuna Salad.
Mediterranean Tuna Salad Healthy, No Mayo
- 1 can (150 grams) tuna in water drained
- ½ cup (45 grams) minced red onion
- 2 teaspoons chopped capers
- 1,5 tablespoons (25 grams) olive slices
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice fresh
- ⅔ teaspoon dried oregano
- 4-5 large Romaine lettuce leaves
- 1 medium-sized ripe tomato
- In a small mixing bowl mix together the tuna, the onion, capers, and olive slices.
- In a small bowl whisk together the olive oil, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, and oregano. Pour over the tuna.
- Season lightly with salt and pepper and mix well with a spoon. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and add it to the fridge for 1 hour. Or keep it like this for up to 2-3 days and use it inside sandwiches etc.
- When you are ready to serve, shred the lettuce and place it on a plate or two if you wish to serve individual salads.
- Add the tuna salad in the center and decorate with thinly cut tomato slices all around.
- You may serve with an extra drizzle of olive oil or lemon on top if you like.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE...