These Feta cheese-stuffed zucchini are light and crisp in flavor. Filled with an easy, cheesy stuffing with Greek yogurt, feta and Gruyere cheese, that's flavored with spring onions, parsley, and a hint of garlic and lemon!
Cheese-stuffed zucchini can be served either as a starter or you can make a double or triple batch and serve as a main along with some Greek lemon & oregano potatoes. Two zucchinis per person are a very filling portion.
Table Of Contents
How To Make
To make stuffed zucchini you need to hollow them first (obviously yes!). For this recipe, the boats are a little bit dipper to fit the filling. Meaning that instead of slicing the zucchini in half and hollowing it (like it's usually done), you just cut a thin long slice from the top, like creating a lid. Only we won't be using this lid.
This is done to create plenty of room inside the zucchini to fit the stuffing. Because the stuffing is made with Greek yogurt and it's a bit creamy. So you can't pile it too much on top as it will spill while baking.
And once you have hollowed the zucchini, you need to give it a little roasting first before stuffing it. Just for a few minutes. Prick the zucchini with a toothpick to see that it's softened slightly but it's still firm and crispy. Then let cool slightly and add the filling.
To make the filling, simply mix all of the ingredients in a bowl. Stuff each zucchini and then bake until the cheese filling gets some nice color on top and looks set.
It's important to use strained Greek yogurt for this recipe so the filling won't turn out too runny.
How To Hollow Out Zucchini
To hollow the zucchini use either a fruit corer, a fruit baller, or a teaspoon. Carefully start to remove the flesh of the zucchini paying special attention not to create holes at the bottom. The walls of the zucchini boats should be ½ cm (¼ inch thick). So the zucchini retains a bite.
Serve these feta-stuffed zucchini as a starter together with a Greek salad, or Greek lettuce salad, or Skordalia.
You can store feta-stuffed zucchini in an airtight food container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Since the texture of feta cheese spoils with freezing it is better to skip freezing this dish.
To reheat, microwave uncovered, or if you have made a bigger batch reheat uncovered in the oven at a temperature of 150°C / 300°F.
Feta Cheese Stuffed Zucchini
- 675 grams ( 3 medium) zucchinis
- 150 grams (1 cup + 1 tbsp) crumbled feta cheese
- 90 grams (½ cup) Greek yogurt strained
- 20 grams (1 medium) Spring onion
- 40 grams (½ cup) grated Gruyere cheese
- ½ lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon olive oil + a little bit extra to drizzle on top
- ⅓ teaspoon dried oregano + a little bit extra to sprinkle on top
- Preheat oven to 200°C / 390°F.
Prepare The Zucchini:
- Cut off the tops and bottoms of the zucchinis. Then cut a thin long slice to reveal the flesh of the zucchini. Using a vegetable corer or a teaspoon scoop the flesh creating a zucchini boat that's ½ cm (¼ inch thick) all around the sides. (see note 1 below)
- In a small bowl mix together the olive oil and oregano. Brush or rub this mixture all over the insides of the zucchinis. Don't discard what's left of it, we will use it for the filling. Season the zucchini very lightly with salt and a little bit of pepper.
- Add the zucchini to a small baking dish or non-stick pan and bake for 12-15 minutes until the zucchini is slightly softened when pricked with a toothpick.
Prepare The Filling:
- In a mixing bowl add both types of cheese, the Greek yogurt, spring onion, garlic powder, lemon zest, parsley, and season lightly with ground pepper. Add also the remaining olive oil and oregano. Stir well to combine.
- Remove the zucchini from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Turn down the oven's temperature to 180°C /356°F.
Stuff The Zucchini:
- Stuff each zucchini with the cheese filling. Don't let it come out too much on top. Press the filling to fit inside the zucchini. Drizzle with a drop of olive oil and a sprinkle of oregano on top.
- Add back in the oven and bake for about 30 minutes. Until the cheese filling gets some color on top and looks set.
- Serve either warm or cold with extra olive oil on top if you like. Enjoy!
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE...
I spent 5 years in Greece and really miss the food and friendships. Sitting at a Taverna and enjoying......
[email protected] says
Hope you get to do this again soon Jerry!