Feta omelette with red onions, and dried oregano sprinkled on top. Just these three ingredients make one of the tastiest omelettes!
Feta cheese omelette is an easy-to-make omelette following just a few simple steps to make it soft and fluffy. The same steps you can use with any other omelette to make it fluffy every single time!
Table Of Contents
The Feta cheese and onion omelette tastes so good because the saltiness of the cheese is the perfect contrast to the sweetness of the onions. And all this flavour combination pairs excellently with the eggs.
And the dried oregano added on top coats the egg flavour and adds this extra something to the aftertaste.
Another ingredient that for me is a must is freshly ground pepper. Plentiful as a finishing touch to the hot omelette and a bit coarse. Freshly ground pepper is best on top of egg dishes and pasta, it really makes them shine.
Ideally, the feta cheese should be a ripe/aged one, with a hard texture. Soft feta cheese doesn't add as strong flavour.
And what are the best onions to make an onion and cheese omelette? Red onions or shallots. Because they get nice and sweet when they cook and go well with any type of cheese. Though you can use white onions, or even green onions if you want to give a more fresh feel to it.
Greek oregano is the best option as it is more aromatic. That's because it's collected from the mountains and it's not cultivated.
Want to use butter instead of olive oil to make this omelette? Sure, why not? Add about 1 tablespoon of butter to saute the onions and then add ½ tablespoon more before adding the egg mixture.
How To Make A Cheese Omelette With Feta
Making an omelette with feta cheese is easy. All you have to do is crumble the cheese and add it to the beaten egg mixture. Then add to the hot pan.
When making a cheese omelette, cheese is usually added after the eggs have been added to the pan. But that usually involves melting types of cheeses.
And since feta is not a yellow cheese it is added together with the egg to the pan, in order to get a chance to cook nicely. Olive oil and a hot pan helps to form a golden bottom surface for the feta omelette.
Super soft and fluffy scrambled eggs with spinach, feta, onions, and herbs. A very similar recipe made even more nutritious with fresh spinach!
As for the onions, they're cooked before anything else. Sliced and sauteed slightly (we want them to retain a bite) in olive oil. Then the egg and feta mixture is added on top to cover them.
I didn't add too many onions to this omelette if you want you can adjust the quantity. Or saute some extra and add on top.
Feta Omelette Ideas
If this feta omelette sounds a bit too plain for you you can turn it into a loaded Greek omelette by adding any of the following ingredients to it.
Ingredients that you can saute together with onions
- Greek sausage cut into thin slices
- Bell pepper sliced
- Mushrooms sliced
- Finely diced zucchini
- Asparagus chopped
Ingredients to add after the eggs have been set, right before folding the omelette
- Sauteed or grilled thick tomato slices
- Stir-fried mini broccoli florets
- Olive slices
- Sun-dried tomato slices (the ones preserved in oil)
- Baby spinach leaves
What To Serve With
Feta Omelette With Onions
- 3 free range eggs
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 50 grams (1.7 ounce) feta cheese in small crumbles
- 30 grams (1 ounce) red onion cut into ½ cm (¼ inch) thick strips
- dried Greek oregano to serve with
- freshly ground pepper
- Beat eggs vigorously for a minute. Mix in the feta cheese and season very lightly with salt.
- Heat olive oil in a non-stick frying pan over high heat.
- Toss in the onions and turn the heat to medium. Cook the onions for 45 seconds stirring them often.
- Pour in the egg mixture and wait for 10 seconds. Then with a rubber spatula (or wooden one) start pulling the eggs from the edges towards the center. Creating ruffles in the center and allowing the runny egg to fill the gaps where you pulled. Do this a few times until the eggs are almost set. Now slide the rubber spatula (or use two forks) to carefully yet swiftly fold the omelette. Turn the heat off and let the omelette cook for a minute more. Transfer the omelette to a plate. Again slide the spatula under the omelette to help transfer it.
- Serve sprinkled with dried Greek oregano and freshly ground pepper on top.