Moist, fluffy, Spinach Scrambled Eggs With Feta cheese, onions, and herbs. A very tasty, healthy, and quick breakfast or lunch.
Spinach is one of the greens that goes best with eggs. They simply taste so good together. And when feta cheese comes into the picture, well, things start to taste amazing!
With naturally sweet (spinach and sauteed onions) and savory (feta cheese) flavors plus herby aromas (parsley, dill, oregano), these Spinach Scrambled Eggs With Feta, are one of the best scrambled egg dishes you can make.
How To Make The Perfect Scrambled Eggs
To make really moist and fluffy scrambled eggs you have to forget everything you knew about scrambled eggs to begin with. For one you don't need either milk or butter. Just a bit of water (will explain this in a bit). And for two forget about stirring. Yeap that's right! And now let me explain...
When you add a small amount of water to beaten eggs it creates steam while the eggs cook. Keeping them moist and making them more fluffy.
Stirring only results in breaking the eggs apart therefore a bigger percentage of moisture is getting lost quickly. So instead of constantly stirring the eggs in the pan, beat them well before you add them to the pan.
Once you add the mixture to the pan leave the mixture undisturbed for a few seconds (about 30) in order to set at the bottom. Then make folding movements with a silicone spatula, bringing the cooked egg bottom on top. Try to do as few movements as possible keeping the eggs this way really fluffy.
Please note: This isn't a creamy scrambled egg recipe it's a very light moist and fluffy one instead.
And most importantly don't overcook the eggs. Once they look like they are starting to set on the flipped side as well, take the pan off the heat and finish cooking by leaving the eggs in the pan for about a minute. The eggs will keep cooking but very gently.
Making Spinach Scrambled Eggs
To make scrambled eggs with spinach first sautee the onions lightly (don't let them get too soft), then add the spinach. You don't need to cook the spinach you only want to soften it and lose its volume. So it remains vibrant and green.
And then you add the scrambled egg mixture which is made by beating the eggs. Then add a little bit of water, the feta cheese crumbled, and the herbs.
You pour this mixture into the pan and follow the tips mentioned above on how to make the perfect scrambled eggs.
If you are serving spinach scrambled eggs for breakfast you can simply grill one or two slices of bread and then drizzle them very lightly with extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle some Greek oregano on top. Also, a few slices of raw tomato or some Kalamata olives are both great sides for breakfast. Did you know that when you eat olives in the morning they wake up your metabolism?
And if you serve these for lunch you can serve them with a Greek salad, or marinated tomato salad for a really healthy low-calorie lunch (just in case you're counting them 😜).
Spinach Scrambled Eggs With Feta
- 4 medium eggs
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 30 grams (1 ounce) onion thinly sliced
- 55 grams (2 ounce) baby spinach or tender spinach leaves without stems
- 2 ½ tablespoons parsley finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon dill finely chopped
- 45 grams (1.6 ounce) feta cheese very finely crumbled
- ¼ teaspoon dry oregano
- In a small mixing bowl beat the eggs vigorously for 1 minute. Add 4 tablespoons of water and beat for a few seconds more. Mix in the herbs and feta cheese. Set the bowl aside.
- In a non-stick pan heat the olive oil very well over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for a minute or two. You want the onion to get some color but not soften too much. Drop heat to medium.
- Add the spinach and stir. Don't cook the spinach we only want it to soften and lose its volume.
- Drop heat to low. Add the egg mixture. Leave for 30 seconds to set without stirring. Then cook for 2,5 to 3,5 minutes more. Do not stir the eggs, do folding movements instead. Flipping the cooked bottom on top so the liquid egg top goes at the bottom. The fewer movements the more moist and fluffy the scrambled will be.
- Take the pan off the heat and leave the scramble in the pan for a minute without stirring to finish cooking.
- Transfer to a plate and enjoy. You may serve it with Kalamata olives, tomatoes, toasted bread drizzled with extra virgin olive oil, and oregano.