Raw Beetroot Salad is one of the most liver-cleansing and detoxing salads. This one is made with Greek yogurt, garlic, extra virgin olive oil, vinegar, and a little bit of lemon. All served over a crunchy green salad. Though this is completely optional, as you can enjoy this Beetroot salad simply as a dip!
Since I tried this salad it has been my favorite way to eat beets! It's crunchy, creamy, and takes no time to make.
How To Make Raw Beetroot Salad
All you need is either a blender or a small food processor. Pulse the beets (after peeling them first with a potato peeler or a knife) until they look coarsely ground. Don't let them get too mushy as they will turn the dip watery. Season with salt and pepper. And then mix together with the Greek yogurt, extra virgin olive oil, vinegar, and lemon juice. Super simple right?
Ideally, you should leave the dip for up to 2 hours in the fridge. This way the flavors get stronger and blend nicely together. Also, this will give a strong dip color to the dip. Because the beets will get marinated during this time they will release some of their water. So give it a stir before serving.
Also, make sure you use strained Greek yogurt. You don't want a runny one for this recipe for the same reason mentioned above.
Beets To Use
Try to use smaller, more tender beets for this recipe. Or use ones that have tender and vibrant green leaves on them that don't look very old.
Beets are one of the best foods to cleanse your liver. It's a traditional remedy to promote liver detox by activating liver enzymes. And in this recipe, they're paired with plenty of raw garlic which is another superfood for the liver (and so much more).
Raw beets are even healthier than cooked ones. As they keep all of their nutrients (minerals, vitamins, antioxidants).
You can serve this healthy beetroot salad as a dip along with cucumber sticks (or other vegetables like celery, carrots, and peppers). Even together with baguette slices, or pita bread (like this healthy No-yeast Greek Yogurt Pita Bread).
Or serve on top of a crunchy leafy green salad like I like to do. Made with lettuce, red cabbage, avocado, and cucumber.
Raw Beetroot Salad with Greek yogurt
For The Beetroot Dip:
- 400 grams beetroot
- 10 grams (2 teaspoons) minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons apple cider or red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice fresh
- 400 grams Greek yogurt
For The Greens Salad:
- 110 grams ( 2 cups) shredded lettuce
- 140 grams (2 cups) shredded red cabbage
- 150 grams (½ large) cucumber cut in half and thinly sliced
- 100 grams (½ large) ripe avocado diced
- 1 ½ teaspoon red wine or apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Optional: 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Optional: ½ teaspoon fresh dill
- Optional: spring onion tips or chives to garnish with
To Make The Beetroot Dip:
- Prepare the beetroot. Slice off the tops and bottoms of the beets. Then peel and cut the beets into small pieces and add to a small food processor or blender in batches. Pulse until finely ground but not mushy. Transfer to a mixing bowl. Season with salt.
- Mix all of the remaining ingredients together with the beets.
- Marinate. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 2 hours before serving. This way the flavors will get even stronger and blend together.
To Make The Greens Salad:
- Add all of the ingredients for the greens salad to a mixing bowl. Toss and mix well. Transfer to a serving plate and spread the beetroot dip on top. You needn't use it all as it will be a lot.
- You can keep the beetroot dip for up to 6 days stored in an airtight food container in the fridge.