Marinated Cabbage And Carrot Salad is a basic and simple to make salad. It tastes a little bit like pickled cabbage. Though not that overwhelmingly sour and salty. With a hint of sweetness out of honey and a touch of garlic.
If you skip the salad with your meals like many people do because - yeap, a salad would be nice with this meal but who's going to prepare it? (even I had that thought couple of times who cannot eat anything without a salad). Then this salad comes to the rescue. You make it, and then store it in the fridge for up to 4 days. And during that time you can take some out and eat it with almost anything. You can even use it inside wraps, sandwiches, hotdogs (add some onions there as well), burgers.
And since it's that basic you can add other ingredients to it as well. Serve over lettuce for example, or mix in 1-2 tablespoons of mayo right before serving. Or use 2 tablespoons of Greek yogurt instead if you want to keep things healthy. Like in this healthy Greek yogurt Coleslaw.
Ingredients & How To Make It
To make this salad you whisk all of the ingredients for the dressing first inside a large mixing bowl. The red wine vinegar and apple cider vinegar, olive oil, salt, and honey. Then add the grated carrots, finely shredded cabbage, crushed garlic clove, and some freshly ground pepper. Mix the salad very well with your hands. Then cover the bowl and place it in the fridge for 24 hours to marinate.
You can eat the salad sooner if you like but give it at least 8 hours to marinate. The more you will let it sit the better it will get. And the cabbage will become much tastier and softer.
Other ingredients you may add
You can mix in any of the following ingredients and marinate together with the cabbage. Such as thin slices of onions, bell peppers, radishes, even pickles. Avoid vegetables with a high water content such as tomatoes and cucumbers though. As these will release too much water if you leave them inside the salad for too long. Therefore making the salad soggy.
Marinated Cabbage And Carrot Salad
- 3 tablespoons honey
- ⅔ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar preferably unfiltered
- 8 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small garlic clove crushed
- 450 grams (5 cups) finely shredded white cabbage
- 4 medium-sized (2 cups) grated carrots
- freshly ground pepper
- In a mixing bowl add the honey, two types of vinegar, and salt. Mix very well with a hand whisk. Add the olive oil and mix again until it becomes a nice and smooth vinaigrette.
- Toss in the bowl the garlic clove, cabbage, and carrots. Season with some freshly ground pepper. Mix very well with your hands. Then cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place it in the fridge for 24 hours. You can transfer the cabbage into jars if you prefer.
- The more it will sit the stronger its flavor will become. You can keep it stored in the fridge for up to 4 days.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE...