Patzarosalata is a fresh and healthy salad of beets with yogurt, goat cheese, fresh herbs, lemon, and green onions. It's a salad dip with chunky bits of beetroot and a very creamy texture.
This healthy beetroot salad with yogurt is a great way to enjoy fresh beets. Or vacuum-packed cooked beets for that matter. It's very fresh, it feels light but it's actually pretty filling, and it's very appetizing.
For this Greek beet salad recipe, you need some cooked beets, Greek yogurt, goat cheese, red wine vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, fresh lemon juice green onions, and fresh herbs like spearmint and parsley.
- Greek yogurt: Plain or low-fat Greek yogurt, either will do for this recipe.
- Goat Cheese: You can use feta cheese instead. Though a beet salad with goat cheese is one of the best pairings ever! Feta comes second best here, but if you don't like goat cheese then feta is the way to go.
- Red wine vinegar: Either apple cider or white wine vinegar will work as well.
- Spearmint: If you are not a fan of spearmint then dill is a great alternative herb to use in Patzarosalata.
Not in this beet salad recipe. If you want to use though, you can add 1-2 cloves of pressed garlic. Or for a more subtle garlic flavor, you can use half a teaspoon of garlic powder.
The best way to cook beets for this beetroot salad is to either boil or steam-cook them. Roasted beets add more of a bite than what this salad needs. And by this, I don't mean to use overcooked mushy beets. Beets need to be firm yet have enough moisture so they blend in with the creaminess of this dip.
The longer this Greek beet salad sits the better it gets! Refrigerate for a minimum of 3 hours before serving. This will give time for all the flavors to blend together. Plus the color of the salad will become a deep purple pink due to the beets colouring the yogurt.
Raw beetroot salad with yogurt is a raw fresh beet (and garlicky) alternative to this salad.
Other Delicious & Healthy Greek Yogurt Recipes To Try:
- Greek Yogurt Mashed Potatoes
- Healthy Strawberry Smoothie With Honey & Greek Yogurt
- Detox Creamed Spinach
Keep yogurt beet salad in an airtight food container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Serve this Greek beetroot salad with healthy homemade pita bread, as a side to egg dishes like a feta omelette, or spinach scrambled eggs. You can also serve together with healthy spinach and feta wraps, as stuffing for a baked potato or baked sweet potato. Also as a side to lean chicken dishes such as Spatchcocked Chicken, or Chicken Souvlaki for a high protein meal!
Beetroot Salad Dip With Greek Yogurt (Patzarosalata)
- 300 grams (10.6 ounce) boiled or steamed beetroots cut into 1 cm pieces
- 150 grams (9 tablespoons) Greek yogurt
- 50 grams (1.7 oz) goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 40 grams (2 small) green onions finely chopped
- 1½ tablespoon fresh parsley finely chopped
- 1⅓ teaspoon fresh spearmint or dill minced
- For instructions on how to cook beetroots see Notes below.
- Pulse together the Greek yogurt, goat cheese, lemon juice, olive oil, and red wine vinegar in a small food processor or in a blender, until smooth and uniform.
- Stir everything together. Add to a mixing bowl the beetroots, yogurt mixture, and green onions stir to combine.
- Refrigerate the salad for 3 to 4 hours or even overnight for the flavors to blend together.